September 19, 2016 - January 31, 2017
Cover Art Contest
About the Competition
- Competition begins September 19, 2016 and ends January 31, 2017.
- One finalist will be selected to have their artwork appear on the cover
of the 21st edition of the Express Yourself! poetry competition anthology.
- 4 honorable mention finalists will have their artwork on the back cover.
- All finalists will be invited to an award ceremony on
April 27, 2017.
- All qualified artwork will be judged on originality & theme.
- All qualified art will be judged separately in the following grade categories:
2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12.
- All finalists will be notified by email by March 31, 2017.
Rules . . . please read carefully
- Artwork must be the artist's own work and may not be submitted
without the artist's knowledge and consent.
- All artist's must be in grades 2-12 and live in the City of Dallas or
attend a Dallas school.
- All entries must be received or postmarked (if mailed) by January 31, 2017. No entries will be returned.
- Artwork should be on vertical (portrait orientation).
- Any drawing or painting medium, including pencil, watercolors,
crayons and acrylic, may be used. Non-reflective sturdy paper such as
watercolor paper or card stock is preferred.
- Any graphic design software, including Photoshop, InDesign,
Illustrator or open-source product, can be used. Files must be saved in
.jpeg or .pdf format.
- Only one submission per artist.
- Attach the completed entry form.
- Drawings that are copied, traced or that adults helped create,
unfinished drawings, and those with incomplete information will be
- All entries become the property of The Dallas Foundation and the
Dallas Public Library. The Library is granted permission to use the
drawings at its discretion.
Looking for a paper entry form?
- Submit your artwork at your local branch using this form.