|Welcome | Log In|
The "Dean of Texas Artists," Frank Reaugh (pronounced "ray"), came to Texas with his parents in 1876. As his family made the trek from Jacksonville, Illinois to Terrell, Texas, Reaugh passed the time by sketching the sights. While formally trained at St. Louis School of Fine Arts and Académie Julian in Paris, Reaugh found his artistic expression through the landscapes and animals of the Southwest - especially the Texas longhorn. Thus, the "Painter of the Longhorn" was born. Reaugh was a firm believer in making art available for public viewing. Shortly after he settled in Oak Cliff in 1890, he worked with civic and cultural leaders to create forums for the public display of art. When the Carnegie Library was built in 1901, Reaugh thought this institution made a perfect venue for public art. He convinced library officials to create an Art Room in the new public library. The Art Room was to display works from various artists in a variety of media, with the expressed purpose of making art accessible and free to the public. He started the art collection by donating his painting, Scene on the Brazos. This painting will be displayed in the Fine Arts Division on the fourth floor of the central library until renovation of the seventh floor is complete.