Mitchell Lofts Mitchell Lofts Mitchell Lofts Mitchell Lofts

Mitchell Lofts

Address: 3800 Commerce Street
Architect: J. A. Pitzinger
Year Built: 1928

Also known as: John E. Mitchell Building

This building was built for the John E. Mitchell Company, which was founded in 1900. Additions were made to the building in 1929 and 1930. The Mitchell Company was a manufacturing firm, and through the years made automobile and truck air conditioners and the ICEE soft drink machine, though it started as a cotton gin. During World War II, the plant made artillery shells and missiles for the US Navy.

In 1981, the company folded, and the building became a haven for artists and musicians. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. In 1995, the City of Dallas had to close the building because of code violations.

Pan American Capital renovated the building into 79 loft homes, with Architect Ron Wommack designing the renovation, in 1999. The remodeling won a Preservation Dallas Achievement Award in 2000.

For More Information:

The Mitchell Lofts
Texas Historic Sites Atlas
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see Mitchell Building folder
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on December 14, 2007