Murray Lofts Murray Lofts

Deep Ellum Lofts - Murray Building

Address: 3401 Commerce Street
Architect: J. M. Jordon
Year Built: 1921

Also known as: Dallas Tent & Awning
The Murray Company

Dallas Tent and Awning Company built this building. Dallas Tent & Awning started in 1878 by Emile Ducourt as a mattress manufacturer. Emile's wife Mary took over the company in 1884 and renamed it Dallas Tent & Awning in 1889. The company merged with Anchor Awning in 1920. In 1922, the new plant opened at 3401 Commerce as the largest tent & awning plant south of Kansas City. The Murray Company, a cotton gin manufacturer, bought the building after World War II and used it as a satellite office to its main headquarters on Canton Street.

In 1965, Rockwell-Standard bought the Murray Company and within a few years moved its offices, selling the building to the City of Dallas. Graham Greene adapted the building for residential living in 1996, and it includes 28 apartments. In 2007, Westdale Asset purchased the building. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999 and is a City of Dallas Landmark.

For More Information:

Westdale Asset website
Texas Historic Sites Atlas
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Murray
  • Business & Industry -- Dallas Tent & Awning
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see Dallas Tent and Awning folder
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on December 2, 2008