International Documents Collection
The International Documents Collection located on the 6th floor of the Dallas Central Library includes publications from the:
Subjects include statistics, international trade and development, international economics and finance, human rights, environmental issues, disarmament, socio-economic development and handbooks in various agricultural, horticultural and animal production series. Included in the collection are periodicals, official records and the International Index to Statistics microfiche set from Congressional Universe (through 2003).
A number of useful links to international organizations are provided below, as well as links to the of U.S. Government offices whose concerns are mainly on international matters or on matters with an international component. International resources in the local area are also listed. Increasingly, official U.N. publications are available online. The U.N.'s online research guide is also useful. The Organization Chart of the United Nations System has links of agencies, programs, and funds within the UN. Looking for statistics? Type in the bar below to search through UN statistical databases.
International Resources from the U.S. Government
Federal agencies and publications with an international orientation are listed below. Topics include health, trade, customs, economics, human rights, adoption of children, foreign affairs, and certain security issues such as drug policy.
Publications & Statistics
Sub-Saharan Africa Governments Search Engine
The University of California Berkeley Library has compiled some useful sites for finding information on Sub-Saharan Governments and have a search engine that will pull up African government sites at the national level.
Intergovernmental Organization Search Engine
Search over 3,000 IGO websites, presented as a public service of the UIA and the Yearbook or browse through a list of IGOs.
Internationally Oriented Groups in Dallas
Check our Community Information Database for local groups by searching keywords such as, "International Interest", "Ethnic Interest", or "Refugee Services".
- DFW International A network of ethnic communities and international cultural organizations that promotes communications and the visibility of our rapidly globalizing North Texas residents. Contact information is provided for many ethnic organizations in the Dallas area.
- Center for Latin American Economics (Dallas Federal Reserve Bank) Established in 1982 with a twofold purpose: to promote public understanding of economic policy issues related to Latin America and to serve as a clearinghouse for information about the region.
- Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau An independent, not-for-profit organization whose mission is to promote Dallas as a destination for business and pleasure, nationally and internationally.
- Dallas Council on World Affairs A nonprofit organization established in 1951 to promote public knowledge and education about international affairs.
- United Nations Association of the USA Offers informational programs to encourage local support for the United Nations.
- Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce - International Business Development Provides international information and direct assistance for local businesses who wish to access the global marketplace.
- Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute (Dallas Federal Reserve Bank) Seeks to better understanding how the process of deepening economic integration between the countries of the world, or globalization, alters the environment in which U.S. monetary policy decisions are made.
- International Museum of Cultures Here you can see diaoramas of indigenous groups from around the world. The museum is affiliated with Dallas-based SIL International (formerly known as the Summer Institute of Linguistics), which publishes the Ethnologue, a catalog of more than 6,700 languages.
- North America's SuperCorridor Coalition Mission is to maximize economic opportunity and investment in the international trade corridor through development of a seamless intermodal transportation web. Dallas-based, seeks to facilitate trade in the context of the North American Free Trade Agreement.
- Robert Muller School (Arlington, TX) Founded in 1979 with the mission to implement former UN Under-Secretary Robert Muller's
- Robert Muller Center for Living Ethics (Fairview, TX)
- Sister Cities International Fosters trade and social bonds between nations.
Metroplex academic programs with an international focus
Official Publications of the United Nations
- Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
UN and EU news sources
- UN News Centre Provides up-to-date information on the activities of the UN and related agencies. The "In Focus" section gives in-depth information on current events such as peacekeeping efforts.
- UN Chronicle Magazine Documents the activities of the United Nations, month-by-month in a readable format.
- UNWire UNWire, an electronic newspaper published by the UN Foundation, compiles articles covering UN activities from newspapers around the world. First time users are asked to register with an email address and a password, but access is free of charge.
- European Union — At a Glance Learn about the European Union.
Private International Law Database (U.S. Department of State)
Maintained by the Office of the Assistant Legal Adviser for Private International Law (L/PIL) at the U.S. Department of State. Provide full-text treaties in force for the United States, other international instruments, and information on current negotiations and projects covering the private international law of such areas as trade and commerce, finance and banking, trusts and estates, family and children matters, and international judicial assistance.
Senate Treaty Documents (104th Congress–)
Treaties and International Law ('Lectric Law Library)
Treaties in Force
A List of Treaties and Other International Agreements of the United States in Force as of January 1, 1999.
1999 Treaty Actions (U.S. Department of State)
United States Senate Treaty Information
Includes lists of treaties received, treaties on the executive calendar (i.e., reported on of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee), treaties ratified during the last month along with the text of the ratification resolution, and actions taken on treaties on the floor of the Senate during the last month.
United Nations System
Learn about the United Nations: