Marion Butts Collection:
Music and Entertainment
Objectives:Students will gain an understanding of the contributions of African Americans in local music, art, and theater and the importance of these contributions in developing local Dallas culture.
Social Studies TEKS:
- TEK 7.21COrganize and interpret information from outlines, reports, databases, and visuals including graphs, charts, timelines, and maps
- TEK 7.21A Differentiate between, locate, and use primary and secondary sources such as computer software, databases, media and news services, biographies, interviews, and artifacts to acquire information about Texas.
Approximately 1-3 class periods (depending upon the depth of the projects)
Materials & Resources:
- Primary source sets
- Computer with internet access & Microsoft Word or Publisher OR blank paper and colored pencils
- Students should be told that they are the new directors of the Dallas Tourism Bureau. They will create a brochure displaying local music and entertainment to attract tourists to visit Dallas.
- Modifying for resources: This brochure can be created electronically on the computer or by hand.
- What do you think attracted musicians of national fame to play in Dallas?
- How has Dallas culture changed since then?
- Students can write a review of a local club based on the Marion Butts photos documenting the venue.