Marion Butts Collection:
Working for a Living
Objectives: Students will be able to explain the different types of jobs held by African Americans in Dallas.
Social Studies TEKS:
- TEK 7.21C Organize and interpret information from outlines, reports, databases, and visuals including graphs, charts, timelines, and maps
Approximately 1-2 class periods
Materials & Resources:
- Computers with access to the Marion Butts collection and PowerPoint
- Modifying for resources: printed photos for each group and poster-board.
- IStudents are assigned to heterogeneous groups of 3-4. Each group will be assigned a particular type of work and will create a PowerPoint presentation about this category of work.
- Students will use the provided sets of photographs to draw conclusions about these jobs:
- How would you describe this working environment?
- Have students brainstorm what qualifications a person must have to be hired in this position. What education level? How much experience?
- Each group will present their project
- Debrief with a large group discussion
- What do you notice about the different categories of work for African Americans in Dallas?
- Did anything surprise you?
- How do you think segregation affected the type of work for African Americans in Dallas?
- How do you think desegregation changed the type of jobs available for African Americans?
- How do you think it would affect businesses owned by African Americans?