TABLE OF CONTENTS
Competitive rifle shooting using small bore rifles began in the U.S. after World War I. Regular competions where firing took place from the prone position began appearing in Texas before the beginning of World War II. Thurman Randle was one of the most well known competitors from Texas from the 1930's through the 1950's. For many years Randle operated a gun and camera store located at 208 North Akard St. in Dallas.
After the end of World War II, a group Dallasites from Company A of the Dallas Battalion of the Texas Guard were commited to finding a space dedicated as a small bore range. The men worked with a businessmen named Henry Dorsey to negotiate a deal to use part of his property located on Easton Road, just to the east of White Rock Lake. The new club was named the ACO Shooting Club, the name referring to the Company A the men served in. The range was prepared in 1946 when regular competitions began taking place. Firing points were set up along a small creek, and targets placed to the northwest so firing would occur parallel to Easton Road.
Towards the end of 1952, it was necessary to move locations due to the growing residential areas around the range. The members of the ACO formed the Trinity Rifle Club and partnered with the Dallas Pistol and Revolver Club. The two groups found a new property that was located on Luna Road near Highway 114. Competions took place at the new location into the 1960's.
The materials in the collection include membership rosters and record books, tournament results for ACO and non-ACO sponsored events, Texas Gun Collectors Association member brochures, and other club related materials. The materials range in date from roughly 1946- 1960.
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
ACO Shooting Club
Trinity Rifle Club
MA11-2, ACO Shooting Club of Dallas, Texas/Dallas History & Archives Division, Dallas Public Library
Processed by Jeff Parker