1414 Elm 1414 Elm 1414 Elm 1414 Elm 1414 Elm

1414 Elm

Address: 1414 Elm Street
Architect: George Dahl
Year Built: 1946

Also known as: Mayfair Building, Third Rail Lofts

This Art Deco building was built for the Mayfair Department Store and comprised Texas granite and Austin stone, the first downtown building to use Austin stone. This store was the 79th Mayfair in the southwest and specialized in women's and children's merchandise.

Mayfair closed in the 1970s. Occupants after the Mayfair included Wyatt's Snack Bar, Mariannes, and Stuarts Plus. Dallas based Spectrum Properties bought the building and converted it into 14 loft apartments with the name Third Rail Lofts.

For More Information:

Online:
Third Rail Lofts
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Third Rail Lofts

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on May 19, 2008