1505 Elm Street 1505 Elm Street 1505 Elm Street 1505 Elm Street 1505 Elm Street

1505 Elm Street

Address: 1505 Elm Street
Architect: George Dahl
Year Built: 1957

Also known as: Dallas Federal Savings Building;
Dresser Building

This 17-story building, which opened on 1 October 1957, was originally the home of Dallas Federal Savings and called the Dallas Federal Savings Building. Dallas Federal Savings started in 1919. Dahl created the building in a "modern" design with a blue-green porcelain and silver-gray enamel exterior, with a cast terrazzo grille. Robert E. McKee was the General Contractor. The interior lobby includes marble and teakwood trim and terrazzo floors

Dresser Industries bought the building in 1974 and moved its headquarters here. Dresser stayed until 1985 when it moved to the LTV Tower and sold the building to James Coker. The Dallas Chamber of Commerce purchased it in 1998 with plans to convert it to office space, but it proved to be too costly. Lazarus Property Co. purchased the building in 2001 and hired Merriman Associates Architects, Inc., to renovate it into 67 condominums, creating the first downtown highrise converted to condiminums. During the renovation, the metal and glass façade was replaced.

For More Information:

Online:
1505 Elm Street Condominum Sales
The Handbook of Texas Online: "Dahl, George Leighton"
The Handbook of Texas Online: "Dresser Industries"
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Banks -- Dallas Federal Savings & Loan
  • Business & Industry -- Dresser
Books:
  • Initiative in Energy: Dresser Industries, Inc., 1880-1978 by Darwin Payne. 1979. [338.7621 P346I]
  • The Doorway to Financial Security: A History of the Dallas Federal Savings and Loan Association by David Clark. 197?. [332.32097 C592D 197-]
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on August 8, 2007