509 Elm Place Residences 509 Elm Place Residences 509 Elm Place Residences 509 Elm Place Residences

509 Elm Place Residences

Address: 509 Elm Street
Architect: ?
Year Built: 1901

Also known as: Tenison Building

This building was built for the Tenison Brothers Saddle Co. Tenison Brothers was started in 1867 by John R. Tenison. The building was built of pink-pressed brick and cost $30,000 at the time. Tenison claimed it was the largest factory devoted to saddle and harness making in the country.

The Folsom Company, manufacturer and seller of electrical equipment, moved to this location in 1937, now called the Manufacturers' Center Building. Folsom stayed until 1943. Sidran of Dallas, a women's sportswear manufacturer, used the building in the 1940s and 1950s, and the building was mostly vacant after Sidran left.

International Capital, Inc., bought this 6-story historic building and converted it to 29 apartments, which were later sold as condominums. Corgan Associates designed the renovation.


Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on August 8, 2007