Dallas Power & Light Building Dallas Power & Light Building Dallas Power & Light Building Dallas Power & Light Building Dallas Power & Light Building

Dallas Power & Light Building

Address: 1506 Commerce Street
Architect: Lang & Witchell
Year Built: 1931

Also known as: Texas Utilities (TXU)

This Art Deco "American Style" eighteen-story building, built by Gardner & Howe Engineers and CL Shaw & Co., was the first electrically welded building west of the Mississippi. It has a black marble base, with brick and terra cotta trim for rest of the façade. It served as home to the Dallas Power & Light Company, later Texas Utilities (TXU). In 1980, DP&L bought the neighboring Continental Supply Co. Building at 1512 Commerce, which was built in 1903. This building was later home to Texaco Oil Co. The buildings emptied when the utility, now TXU, moved to new offices.

Hamilton Properties Corporation bought both buildings and planned to renovate them into apartments, retail, and a conference center. The complex was finished and opened to tenants in 2005. The building is a City of Dallas Landmark.

For More Information:

Online:
Hamilton Properties: DPL Flats
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Dallas Power & Light
  • Business & Industry -- Dallas Power & Light
Books:
  • History and Development of Dallas Power and Light Company. 1940. [338.476213 D145H]
Magazines:
  • Your Electric Ally, 1936-1941.
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see Dallas Power and Light folder
Articles:
  • Dallas. July 1930, p. 7.
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on November 10, 2006