Interurban Building Interurban Building Interurban Building Interurban Building Interurban Building

Interurban Building

Address: 1500 Jackson Street
Architect: Unknown
Year Built: 1916

Also known as: Continental Trailways

Stone & Webster Traction Interests built this nine-story building to accommodate 35 interurban trains at one time. It was originally called the Dallas Interurban Terminal Building, named after the Dallas Interurban Terminal Association, comprised of the Texas Traction Co., Southern Traction Co., and Northern Texas Traction Co., among other interests managed by Stone & Webster. Most of the companies merged into the Dallas Railway Company (later Dallas Railway and Terminal Co.) in 1917.

After the demise of the interurbans for busses, the building became the office for the Trailways Bus Co. in the early 1950s. Trailways remodeled in the 1960s, removing much of the original ornamentation. In 1987, Greyhound bought Trailways and the building was vacated.

Courtland Group bought the building in 2000 with plans to create a high-tech office center, but plans fizzled. Barker Nichols LLC bought the building and converted it into loft apartments and retail space, opening Urban Market, the first grocery store in downtown in many years.

For More Information:

Online:
Interurban Building
The Handbook of Texas Online: "Texas Electric Railway"
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Interurban
  • Railroads -- Dallas Terminal Railway
  • Transportation -- Interurbans
Books:
  • Texas Electric Album, Texas Electric Railway by Rod Varnay. 1957. [385.5 V318T]
  • Texas Electric Railway by Johnnie Meyers. 1982. [388.46 M996T]
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on December 2, 2008