Post Office Post Office Post Office Post Office Post Office

Post Office

Address: 400 North Ervay
Architect: Office of the Supervising Architect
Year Built: 1930

Also known as: The Lofts at Thanksgiving Square

This Italian Renaissance revival building served as the main downtown post office and as a federal courthouse, including the courtroom of Judge Sarah T. Hughes. In 1983, the Post Office sought to expand the building to 34 stories, building on top of the existing structure, but did not complete the renovation.

Intradel Corp., a New Orleans developer, launched plans in 2002 to convert all but the ground floor into 91 loft apartments, at a cost of $14 million, to be called the Lofts at Thanksgiving Square. The Post Office would continue to operate on the ground floor.

For More Information:

Online:
The Lofts at Thanksgiving Square
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buidings -- Post Office
Magazines:
  • Dallas Post Office Newsletter. 1965-1968.
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see U.S. Post Office and Courthouse folder
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on November 10, 2006