Santa Fe Building Santa Fe Building Santa Fe Building Santa Fe Building Santa Fe Building

Santa Fe Building

Address: 1122 Jackson Street
Architect: Lloyd Whitson & F. Cowderie Dale
Year Built: 1926

This Quasi-Spanish Renaissance building was part of a 4-building complex of warehouses and offices for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad. Tunnels under the buildings connected them and allowed trains to enter the complex. Tenants for Santa Fe #2 included the University Club, WFAA Radio, and the Garment Center. The two-story penthouse was designed for the University Club and its 600 members. They left in the late 1930s and WFAA took the top floors.

The building was vacant and boarded up in the 1980s. In 1987, it was ordered demolished, along with the neighboring Ingram Freezer Building (Santa Fe #3), but was spared. Buildings 1 and 2 became Dallas landmarks in 1988 and were listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. Santa Fe #3 was demolished, but 1, 2, and 4 remain.

Southwest Property Group bought Santa Fe #2 in the 1990s and renovated it in 1999, opening as the Sante Fe Lofts. Corgan & Associates were the architects. In 2004, the building became SoCo Urban Loft Condominiums (SoCo stands for "south of Commerce").

For More Information:

Online:
SoCo Urban Lofts
The Handbook of Texas Online: "Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railway"
The Handbook of Texas Online: "Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway System"
Texas Historic Sites Atlas
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Santa Fe
  • Railroads -- Santa Fe
Articles:
  • Dallas January 1923, p. 16-17; March 1923, p. 5; December 1923, p. 25.
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see Santa Fe Warehouse No. 2 folder
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on November 10, 2006