Sears Warehouse Sears Warehouse Sears Warehouse Sears Warehouse Sears Warehouse

Sears Warehouse

Address: 1409 Lamar Street
Architect: Lang & Witchell
Year Built: 1914

Southside on Lamar

The full name of this building was the Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalogue Merchandise Center, built to serve as a warehouse and distribution center. This was the first Sears warehouse outside Chicago, the company's headquarters. Additions to the building in 1915 and 1916, also designed by Lang & Witchell, brought the size of the warehouse to 1.5 million square feet on 18 acres.

The City of Dallas considered purchasing the buildings in the 1980s. In 1993, Sears closed its regional office, due to consolidation, and vacated the complex. Matthews Southwest Corp. bought the buildings and redeveloped the complex as "Southside on Lamar." The building now houses retail and 457 loft apartments. In 2002, it won a Historic Rehabilitation Award from Preservation Texas.

For More Information:

Online:
Southside on Lamar
Resources at the Dallas Public Library, 7th Floor:
Vertical Files:
  • Buildings -- Sears Warehouse
  • Business & Industry -- Sears Roebuck
Books:
  • 1906-1965. Sears Roebuck & Co., 1965. [338.76 N714 1965]
Manuscript Collections:
  • MA86-15 City of Dallas Landmark Records; see Sears Complex folder
Photographs:
  • Please contact department to view additional photographs.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on November 10, 2006