Dallas Public Library

Texas/Dallas History and Archives Division

Photographs identified by patrons

The Dallas Public Library extends a gracious thank you to all the patrons who have helped to identify these photographs.


Trinity Park Field House

PA78-2-1112
Time frame: c. 1920
About this photo: The Trinity Park Field House, opened in July of 1915, was a state-of-the-art recreation center located at Cockrell and Corinth Streets. It contained an auditorium, "motion picture projecting box", athletic supplies, hot and cold showers, and a day nursery among other things.
Thanks to Kate Singleton

Jack Ruby Trial

PA2003-2-409-1
Time frame: March 1964
About these photos (from two images): Two witnesses at Jack Ruby's trial, Francois Pelou (left) and Jim Davidson (right). Francois Pelou was a visiting reporter from Agence France-Presse (AFP). Jim Davidson was a freelance television photographer covering the case under contract by ABC news. Both men were present when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald.
Thanks to Gary Mack, curator; Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza

Douglas E. Humphrey Memorial Library Book Drive

PA2001-7/354/19
Time frame: November 1953
About this photo: Interstate Theaters sponsored a book drive at its Palace Theater for the Douglas E. Humphrey Memorial Library, an institution that disbursed books to Texas military personnel overseas. The planning committee, from left to right: Mrs. Mildred F. Smalley, secretary-treasurer of the library; A. W. Trippitt, principal clerk of Dallas County Draft Board; Raymond Willie, Interstate Theaters executive; James O. Cherry, Interstate Theaters manager; Brig. Gen. Paul A. Wakefield, state director of selective service.
Thanks to Robert Paige

Harry Truman with Texan cousins

PA2003-2/349-4
Time frame: May 1957
About this photo: When former President Harry S. Truman visited Dallas in May of 1957, two of his Texan cousins met him at the train station and spent the day with him. This photo was likely taken during dinner in the Adolphus Hotel's Presidential Suite. Left to right: T. E. (Elmer) Truman of Waco, Harry S. Truman, and Fred Truman of Denton.
Thanks to Larry Chenault

Snider Plaza Theater

PA2001-7/486-1
Time frame: 1950-1964
About this photo: The Varsity Theater, built in 1929, was one of the first businesses to open in University Park's Snider Plaza. In 1957 it became the Fine Arts Theater, showing foreign films among others. Those who patronized the theater have strong recollections of the Spanish Village interior as well as twinkling stars painted on the ceiling (not present at the time of this photo). In later years, the theater was known as the Plaza Theater and the Park Cities Playhouse. The structure still exists, but is nearly unrecognizable as it has been converted into multiple retail tores.
Thanks to Jackie McElhaney, Kate Singleton, and David Hathcox

Reverend Walter Arnold at St. Joseph Catholic Church

PA2001-7/11-9
Time frame: April 1955
About this photo: St. Joseph's Church and Academy was located on the corner of Swiss Avenue and Texas Street. Although the structure still exists, the name and clientele have changed. Now called the St. Andrew Kim Church, the facility serves a Korean-American Catholic community.
Thanks to Steve Landregan, Archivist/Historian of the Diocese of Dallas

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

©2006 Texas/Dallas History & Archives, Dallas Public Library
1515 Young St | 7th Floor | Dallas, TX 75201 | 214-670-1435

Dallas Public Library Homepage

Last revised on May 29, 2008